Little Girl On The Go

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

warm cooking for a cold day.

Ok, Ok.....it's not really a cold day.  But at least it's finally in the 70s!  And the weatherman (er, um, Weather.com) says it's going to rain tomorrow morning!  This is cause for celebration!  Or at least some yummy fall food...right?
This morning I made pumpkin-raisin muffins, by far one of my FAVORITE fall treats.  I used a recipe from Joy of Cooking, it seems almost anything I bake from that book turns out amazingly good.  I included the recipe at the end!
 


After that, we went to the Farmer's Market in Concord.  This is sort of a weekly ritual for us, we usually meet friends for a playdate there.  Today though, it was just my friend Shawna and I (plus the kiddos).  We got some veggies and fruits and then let the kids play for a bit.  I got some awesome organic multi-colored beets and some sweet potatoes, I think I'm going to have roasted root veggies and quinoa tomorrow for lunch (when my picky husband is at work so he can't turn his nose up at the beets!)  I also got leeks for potato leek soup and a few pounds of "damaged" (read: slightly bruised or deformed but still edible and VERY cheap!) pears.  The apples were screaming my name but I refrained because we're planning on going apple picking this weekend....look forward to lots of apple baking recipes next week  ;)



beets and a honey stick!



I finished the day off with some veggie stew, buttermilk bread from my bread machine, and watching GLEE in my warm jammies.  <3



  Pumpkin Raisin Muffins, adapted from Joy of Cooking


They start with a basic muffin recipe:
Preheat oven to 400.
In one bowl mix together:
2 Cups Flour
1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp salt
In another, whisk together:
2 large eggs
1 Cup milk
2/3 Cup sugar
1/4 to 1/2 Cup butter (I used 1/2 cup and the buttery goodness was delish!)
1 tsp vanilla

To make them pumpkin muffins add:
1/3 Cup sugar and 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (it calls for cinnamon and nutmeg but I prefer pumpkin pie spice!) to the dry, and 1 Cup cooked or canned pumpkin to the wet.

Mix everything together and stir in raisins (or even craisins, my favorite!  Didn't have those on hand today though...)
Pour into pre-greased or paper lined muffin tins and bake for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment