Little Girl On The Go

Monday, October 4, 2010

Reason # 7524234131457 why I homeschool.

Peanut menace? Bullies use food to torment allergic kids

"About 1 in 4 kids, teens and young adults with allergies reported being teased, harassed or bullied because they were allergic, according to a new survey published in the Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. Of 353 families of kids ages birth to 25 surveyed at allergy conferences across the nation, 85 reported that their kids had been plagued because of the problem.
When children under 5 were excluded from the results, that rose to 35 percent, and among kids in grades six through 10, it was as high as 50 percent, noted Dr. Scott H. Sicherer,  a professor of pediatrics at the Jaffe Food Allergy Institute of the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York."


What is wrong with our culture that young kids think it's ok to taunt someone for an illness they have or even chase someone with something that could kill them....for what, a good laugh?  I get it, I can't protect my kids forever and ever, they will eventually experience hurt and heartache and probably even cruelty at some point in their lives, homeschooled or not, but I wholeheartedly admit that when I read things like this it solidifies it for me that this is the right choice for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment